Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sloppy H..uh...Joes!

Oh my worrrlddd was dinner, well "delish!" I use this term because I ended up channeling my inner Rachel Ray. But we'll get to that shortly.
Rewind to this beautiful bowl of blueee:

overmorning oats!
A first for me! I'd been unsure of the whole overnight oats idea, but decided it was time to try it. This was only a half portion so it was followed shortly by a tuna wrap. Random eating, I know.
Anyway. This was blueberries (that had just about enough juice to warrant using only a splash of soy milk, really) brown cow, oats,wheat bran, and maple syrup; topped with some Total (not my fave; i get the feeling it's one of those "healthy" cereals that aren't really healthy, but make consumers think they are...enough about that) and a Clif Honey Graham Z-Bar, which totally made it perfecto!

Then I set about finding the perfect dinner recipe! I have been craving tacos for days,  but Henry isn't a big fan so I've been nice and not given into the craving. This morning I stumbled across a recipe for taco soup, and I thought that would be the perfect way to kick my taco craving, but still be enjoyable for Henry. Of course, as the day went on I wasn't really feeling the taco soup idea, and felt more like sloppy joes. Kinda like tacos, right? So I cleared the idea with the units, and it was all systems go!

I found a great-sounding recipe on sparkrecipes.com from Rachel Ray, and decided I would create my sloppy joes loosely based on that. Here's how it allll went down!



Spicy Garden Sloppy Joes

  • 1 pkg (1.3 lbs) Extra-Lean Ground Turkey
  • 2 Carrots, chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 red pepper, chopped
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
  • 3-4 baby bella mushrooms, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • montreal steak seasoning, to taste
  • 1/2 T. balsamic vinegar
  • 3 T. Hickory Flavored BBQ Sauce
  • 1.5 T. Splenda
  • 2 T. Frank's Red Hot
  • 1/2 C. Tomato Paste
  • 1 C. Water
  • 1.5 T. French Onion Soup Mix
  • 1/2 t. Cheesy Taco Seasoning



  1. In a large pan, sprayed with cooking spray or drizzled with olive oil, begin browning the turkey and add in all veggies as they are ready. Allow to cook thoroughly.
  2. Meanwhile, combine all other ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. Pour over turkey and veggie mixture.
  3. Allow to thicken slightly. If too dry, add a bit more water; mixture should not be "soupy", but not dry, either.
  4. Serve over brown rice, whole wheat bread, or greens! I enjoyed mine in a Joseph's pita with romaine and a dill pickle :) 

(x2, of course.)
Definitely worth a try, kids! It was a perfect mix of everything, and fed me and Henry twice, and my mom three times! (girl can eat, let me tell you. why's she so tiny still?!) and we have leftovers...Can't wait for lunch tomorrow! haha.

2 comments:

  1. I have those pretty plates too. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a really good twist on the traditional sloppy joe! Yum.

    ReplyDelete