Search This Blog

Monday, February 1, 2010

Oh, Hey, February...

...how did you sneak up on us so fast? I'm still in November!

I've finally found the perfect combination!
Equal parts bulgur with soy, TVP, oatmeal, and wheat bran! Simmered with equal parts milk and coffee, or milk and water if you choose - with cinnamon and nutmeg and vanilla (to the extreme) and whipped banana! 
Topped with the rest of the nanner, dates, red raspberry preserves, wheat germ, and Barney Butter!
Oh, yes. I went there.

Oh, how I love dates. And nanners. And Barney Butter. And this whole concoction.

And, of course, Green Mountain Coffee "Golden French Toast" flavor.
d.e.l.icious.
Why do I feel the need to combine four different grains/proteins for  complete breakfast?
I'm not really sure. BUT! I like the higher protein content of the TVP and bulgur with soy. I'm not sold on the texture of TVP alone, nor the texture of Bulgur alone - as a breakfast food, that is. The two combine are really good. And then this morning I figured, why not sub some TVP for regular rolled oats?!


Maybe I'm just weird to want the best of four worlds, though...
Do you like mixing foods, or are you picky about keeping everything separate?
I do the same thing with food on my plate...mix it all up! 

Work started out sllllooowww this morning. I wasn't sure if I was going to make it to noon without lulling off into sleep! But then luckily after my amazing lunch of leftover noodles, a fun graphic design job came in, along with a bunch of stuff to print! Score. All accomplished while grazing on veggie crisps all. day. long. No shame.
Except, working on other peoples' business cards makes me realize how badly I need to re-do mine! Luckily, I have until April or so before I start needing them. It's always good to be prepared, though!

I've been having wicked cravings for a Mexican-esque dish lately! I was tempted to make a Mexican polenta casserole like I had thought I was going to make last night, but then didn't want to wait for it to bake, etc. So instead I made a sort of huevos-rancheros-meets-red beans & rice dish!


It was actually really good - and you know you'll be seeing red beans throughout the next couple of days now that I've opened a can! I'm not complaining :) Especially since I don't think I'll be able to kick my mexicn polent casserole idea until I finally make it!


Here's what I did!
For the "Rice" layer (bottom): Brought equal servings TVP and Bulgur Wheat with Soy to a simmer in equal parts Imagine Orgnic Creamy Broccoli Soup and water. Season with salt, pepper, chili powder, and cumin.
For the Bean Layer: Saute minced garlic, onion, carrot, and red beans and season with spicy brown mustard, pepper, chili powder, and cumin. Add in one cheese wedge.
For the Top Egg Layer: Saute red and yellow pepper and add in egg mixture - eggs, milk, spicy brown mustard, salsa. Season with salt and pepper

Layer in your bowl and top with salsa, franks, parmesan, real bacon bits, and remaining red and yellow pepper. Viola! 

Take away the heat with a refreshing dessert:


All mixed together: 1/2 thinly sliced banana, instant oats, greek yogurt, dates, drizzle agave, and instant vanilla pudding mix. Freeze for 30m and enjoyed with some Total complete :)

So, overall, a pretty boring day. Time for a new Two and a Half Men! The only decent show left on television...lol.

How was everyone's February First?

9 comments:

  1. I love this post b/c it has given me multiple uses for all the bulk bulgur wheat I have! Let me know if you get around to the mexican polenta loaf - I would love the recipe. As always, great pictures!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, no problem! I love Bulgur. Although I did find it comical that the same Bulgur/TVP combo worked its way into my breakfast AND dinner!

    I was initially skeptical of the idea of Bulgur for breakfast since to me, Bulgur was for fried "rice," or a dinner side dish - not breakfast. But it's actually quite good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh you should definitely make a Mexican polenta! That sounds delicious! (Also currently obsessed with polenta since I just discovered it!)

    I LOVE everything all mixed together into a big mess! Soo good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm, your breakfast looks good! I too am a food mixer...I love discovering new awesome combos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. February actually started out great, thank goodness :)

    I love bulgur, and it's been too long since I've had it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. February is Heart Healthy Month, so it's great you are eating heart smart!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jess, I have to say I love your blog and pictures! I’m working with Green Mountain, and I think you and your readers would like to know that we’re having a great sampling promotion going on! For those who live in Dallas, it ends this Friday 02/19. Tell friends and family! More cities coming up, so blog and tweet about this promotion, but don’t miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Livia -
    Oh, awesome! As you can tell, I ADORE green mountain. Every time I try another brand I am reminded why it shouldn't be legal to drink another coffee :P
    I'll have to look into the sampling promotion! It's only for Dallas?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jess!
    Right now it is happening in Dallas-
    Friday 02/19 at the Abrams Centre from 7:30am until 1:30pm (930 LBJ Freeway Dallas 75243 – main lobby) and on Monday 02/22 again at the Abrams Center, same time, and also at the Executive Center II (8360 LBJ Freeway Dallas 75243), from 7:30am until 2pm. Then we're heading to Houston, Minneapolis, NYC, DC and Atlanta. Unfortunetely not Vermont this time! Feel free to write me at lilivia18@yahoo.com if stopping by any of those cities in the near future though! Again, nice pictures of food in your blog, and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete