Search This Blog

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Is that Snow on your Oats?

Brrrr!

We're back to the winter cold here - and I am so glad I'm back into the oatmeal addiction!
Thanks to Bobby Flay, I made German Chocolate Cake inspired "oatmeal" this morning! Or maybe I should just say multi-grain cereal? Wait until I find that this whole breakfast combination I go through on a daily basis is already patented...I ought to look into that, and see what those multi-grain hot cereals consist of, eh?


In the mix this morning? "The Usual" combination of grains & liquids, with 1/2 t. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, 1 packet Sun Crystals, 1/2 banana, and vanilla.
Topped with raisins, walnuts, coconut, Barney Butter, Raspberry Preserves, and "Icing" made up of 1 tsp. chia seeds, greek yogurt, almond milk, and maple syrup.

Sooo perfect :) I'm not typically a chocolate kinda gal, but I am a coconut kinda gal!

The realistic view...

Does anyone else leave the best for last?!
I love letting the almond butter kinda melt in, and then mix it up with the last quarter or so, so the flavor doesn't get lost :)

This geared me up for a chilly, busy day! 

Well, I guess not too busy. Morning classes went by pretty quickly, and then I had two hours before photo class. I decided to go to my mom's office on the other side of campus and re-heat my lunch in peace and get some homework done! I hate going to the library...I can never concentrate. Isn't that what libraries are for?! oh well...

Photo was...interesting. I'm becoming more and more skeptical of how this class is going to go over. This teacher keeps trying to prove me wrong! I really don't think I'm coming across as arogant by any means - in fact, I'm pretty quiet because I'm afraid if I answer all the time, or talk too much, I will come across as a know-it-all. And I'm there to learn, not be "macho." So it's frustrating when I do do something right and it's just challenged or demeaned. It's tough to go into detail because it would involve lots of explanations of camera technical facts, lol.

But, coming home and cooking dinner certainly cheered me up! Luckily, we're given the last hour and a half to do whatever, including leave early. I left early, which means I get some extra free time to watch Ellen AND make a good dinner!


When I first saw the Guilty Kitchen's recipe for Baked Salmon with Blueberry Sauce, I was skeptical. Blueberries? Count me in! Salmon? Count me in! Oh...together? Um, no thanks. But then I gave it some more thought...and why wouldn't a blueberry sauce work? I mean, I've done apricot, applesauce, honey, maple, orange...why stop there? So I decided tonight was the night to do my own take on the idea!

I did end up making quite a bit of subs...in fact, I think the only thing I left the same is the blueberries and the thyme! Regardless, I'm super happy with how this came out. My mom loved it, too. She was quite skeptical at first, too. Sometimes I feel like my family members think I'm crazy; some other breed of human, or something; for always making crazy "health" food. 

Too bad leftover broccoli is so NOT aesthetically pleasing...

Flaked Salmon Pita with Blueberry-Raspberry Dijon Glaze
(why do I always give my recipes such long titles?)

Serves: 1-3

For the Salmon:
2  4 oz. salmon fillets
1.5 t. minced garlic
salt
pepper
thyme
chili powder (opt.)
olive oil
splash balsamic vinegar

Season both sides of the fillets with salt, pepper, chili powder and thyme - to taste. 

Sautee in garlic in pan lightly coated with olive oil, or non-stick cooking spray. Splash with balsamic vinegar. Cook until done and flakes easily. Flake into medium sized chunks and leave over low heat.

For the Glaze:
Note: Measurements are approx - adjust to your tastes!

3/4 c. frozen or fresh blueberries
1/4c. water
1 t. cornstarch
scant 1/4 c. original almond milk
1 t. balsamic vinegar
1 T. Raspberry Dijon Mustard
1/4 t. black pepper
1/4 t. thyme
dash paprika, chili powder, crushed red pepper and salt

Combine all ingredients in saucepan and heat over low until desired consistency. Additional cornstarch can be added if thicker is desired, or water omitted. I found it to be just right - not too thick, not too thin.

To assemble:
1 Joseph's Flax Pita
1/2 cheese wedge
1 t. Raspberry Dijon Mustard
chopped scallions
romaine lettuce (spinach would be better - I didn't have any!)
chopped walnuts

Spread 1/2 cheese wedge in middle of flat pita (unopened) followed by mustard and then lettuce. Top with as much of the salmon as desired, tri-fold the pita over, and press on a panini press/grill.
Top with blueberry glaze, scallions, and chopped walnuts

I forgot about the walnuts and they only made it into the top photo ;)

Enjoy! I'm also enjoying a really delicious pumpkin pie oatmeal dessert right now, but I think that's enough talking and recipe - giving :P

I hope everyone's having a great night - and here's a warning that tomorrow may be leftover night. But that's okay, because this salmon makes up for it, right?
Do you plan your meals in advance, or decide hours before you're ready to eat?

8 comments:

  1. ooooo that looks so yummy, i love salmon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always save my almond butter glob for last... Kinda strange! Love the new header :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks absolutely delicious. I love the combination of ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew! So many treats! Have I told you how much I adore your photography! Sorry, your teach is lame. I took photo in cc one semester and hated my teacher too. Sounds familiar. Your oats looked killer! Coconut; yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much - I really appreciate it!
    And isn't it funny how you can either get an awesome art teacher that can totally fuel your creativity and inspire you to do more than your best, or one who almost seems threatened? I feel like based on my experiences, there's no middle ground! haha. Oh well...I'll make it through :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum! i should have prepared my salmon this way tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your german cake inspired oatmeal! Great idea, I wish I would have thought of that. Next time I get my hands on some precious oatmeal I'm adding coconut and cocoa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like I just found a use for that leftover coconut in the cupboard...

    ReplyDelete