Search This Blog

Thursday, February 18, 2010

I Got Issues.

Uh, so, can anybody else hardly believe it's Thursday already?!
It snuck up on me - and I'd almost forgotten that I'm on break from classes all of next week! My college goes on break every 5 weeks (or 6?) so that kids don't get depressed. They always come at jussst the right time - whenever I get the thoughts of "hmmm..do I really need to go to class today...?" I can tell there's a break coming up :)

Yes - believe it or not, there's oats under there!

As I've mentioned before, I've never been a huge chocolate fan. Even growing up I'd opt for the skittles or gummy bears, if I had to chose a candy. Exceptions were if coconut and/or almonds were in the chocolate, of course :) Go figure - now that dark chocolate is discovered to be good for your health, right? hah. But anyways - sometimes I get the urge for some chocolatey goodness, and this morning was a prime example.
Yep - under that mess is a good ol' batch of banana-almond chocolate spelt & tvp cereal!


It's no secret how much I love spelt bread - so I couldn't wait to try this Rolled Spelt hot cereal! Unfortunately, I should not have used them in such a "flavor-masking" bowl such as  this - I couldn't detect the differences of flavor between spelt and oats. Oh well - tomorrow!


In the Mix: 2 T. TVP, 2 T. Rolled Spelt, 1 T. wheat bran, 1/4 sliced nanner, goji berries, almond extract, 1.5 t. organic unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 packet sun crystals.
For the "Icing": Greek yogurt, chia seeds, acai powder, dollop honey, vanilla extract, almondmilk
On the Top: sliced nanner, icing, toasted coconut, toasted almonds, flax, strawberry-pom jam, white choco coconut PB

Yum-o! I lovelove the combo of almond, coconut, banana, and chocolate!

This morning I actually didn't go to my first two classes - but only because it was a make up day! Teachers kinda "get" that kids hate showing up when break is so close I guess, haha. So - I scheduled to shoot a senior portrait and then thought I'd run into town to Bed Bath & Beyond, and Hannaford. (rut roh - now you have an idea what the title of this post alludes to, huh?)
Anyways - still packed a lunch and snacks!

Simple Bulgur wrap with spinach - that bulgur from last night is a great wrap filler! Would have been better pressed on the 'nini maker, of course ;)


naranja, trail mix, veggie crisps, wrap, tea, nanner, spelt toast with dates, pb, and jam.
and of course coffee and agua!

After a very cold but good shoot, I hit up Bed, Bath & Beyond in search of cute bowls and plates. I've been getting so bored photographing the same old ones, I'm not gonna lie. Is that bad? haha. 
That and, I adore browsing through all those kitchen appliances - I could have a hay-day in there! I found some super cool bowls and plates - you'll see! Next up? Hannafords. Oh, heavens. Why am I allowed in there? I've got serious issues. All I needed were some shirataki noodles! But of course I had to browse the peanut butter and jam aisle and wound up with two new PB & Co PB's and two new jams. And trust me - I almost had far more jams! Luckily, I shied away from the mustard aisle, but only because there was another woman blocking the whole shelf. I silently thanked her. Although - I have been dying to find PB&Co around here - and the jams were on sale :)

After making it back to campus and nomming on my lunch while surfing the web in my mom's office [the only other place to eat without freezing or looking strange is the dining hall - and you can't get in without paying or swiping ID. Since I commute, I don't have a meal plan, so would have to pay.] I had our first photo critique. It went much better than I thought! Still not sure what the teacher thinks, but there were good critiques and some really nice work from the other students, too. I was surprised, though - for once, I was the talkative one! Usually, I listen to everyone else and chime in when really necessary or I have something I really want to say. This is a really quiet group, however!

It was also a very fast critique. I made it home in time to edit some of the senior portraits & snack on some spelt bread (with, of course, pb, jam, and dates & a vanilla latte) before making possibly the best dinner of the week. Hmm...lemon...sensing a new pattern, here...

I can't help it - I love shirataki noodles! Maybe it's in my blood - my mom loves them, too. 

Creamy Lemon-Garlic Noodles with Tuna, Bacon, & Veggies

Ingredients For the Noodles:
-1 pkg Shirataki noodles/pasta, rinsed & microwaved 1 m.
-1 can chunk tuna
- 2-3 T. olive oil
-1/4 c. diced red onion
-1/2 carrot, diced
-1 T. minced garlic
-3/4 c. sugar snap peas
-2 slices cooked turkey bacon, diced
-salt, pepper 

For the Sauce:
-1/2 c. plain greek yogurt
-1 T. lemon juice
-lemon pepper
-crushed red pepper
-basil
-scant 1/4 c. almondmilk/milk/cream
-1 T. BBQ sauce
-1 T. dijon mustard

Sautee minced garlic, red onion, carrot, peas, and bacon in olive oil until soft. Add in tuna, and season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for the sauce, seasoning to taste.
Add noodles to veggie mixture and combine, followed by the sauce. 

Serve with lemon-pepper naan (naan dough prepared in lemon pepper-covered iron skillet) and parmesan cheese.


Delish! Seriously loving having that naan dough on hand, and it is so. darn. good. with the lemon pepper!
Whatcha think of new plate #1, btw?! I think it's pretty neat - though I do wish it wasn't so flat!


Honestly - I think the shirataki noodles are perfect for this. I don't look at them as a sub for pasta - I look at them as jazzy ramen noodles! haha.

Lately, my "unpictured evening snacks" have often been consisting of heated applesauce and/or greek yogurt, with jam, pb or ab, dates or raisins, and some kashi (and sometimes some of those butterscotch chips!) or a slice of spelt toast with pb or ab, jam, and dates, also heated. Can you tell I seriously adore dates? 

What's your favorite unusual snack?
I guess toast isn't unusual - what's unusual is that I love something so simple! haha.

5 comments:

  1. I like seeing what you make with your Bob's Red Mill stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love anything with those noodles! I keep forgetting about my bulgur, I gotta make it more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the tuna and noodles. It looks delicious, and economical too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoa! clearly I came to your blog at the right time because I *just* bought chia seeds and tofu shirataki noodles today :P Aaand I'm going to need all the help I can get with them, haha. I made a pretty decent meal out of the noodles today, but I'm looking forward to trying out new recipes with them (i.e. yours!).

    question about your oatmeal "icing"...do you make a single serving of it or a larger batch that you save?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the plate!!great lunch- love noodles!!

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete